Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Cheap Dishwasher Detergent


I only wish this was true!! Although, Josh does do the dishes in our family, but it's definately not because of the detergent. LOL

It took a couple of recipes to find one that works for our water (our city water is VERY hard). But this recipe works great for us and gets our dishes sparkiling clean. I like that I know exactly what is in it.

 But one of the best things is that it is SO cheap. To make 1 bottle of it only costs $1.55. How cheap is that? You can't buy any DW detergent for that cheap. This makes a 64 oz. bottle.

1 cup Borax
1 cup Washing Soda
1 cup Salt
3 packets of Lemonade drink mix

Fill bottle (I used a cleaned out cranberry juice jug) about half full with very warm tap water. Add ingredients. Shake. Fill the rest of the way with warm water. Not all of the indredients will dissolve. This means you will have to shake it before each use.

I have used Tang orange drink mix or strawberry lemonade mix in a pinch when I didn't have any lemonade packets in the house. You really just need the citric acid in the drink mix.

Also, instead of Jet Dry we use plain old white vinegar.

This has worked great for us so far and I hope it works for you. Let me know if you try it!

1 comment: